Volunteer & Employment
Please check here regularly for Volunteer Events and Employment opportunities
We are currently hiring for Habitat Technicians (summer contract position)
Ontario Streams is looking for energetic, enthusiastic, and reliable individuals to implement several wetland and stream rehabilitation projects within the Greater Toronto Area. These are summer employment positions that report directly to the Project Biologists and are based out of our field office in Aurora, Ontario.
Multiple positions are to be filled.
Summary of Functions:
To assist in the implementation of wetland and stream rehabilitation projects under the supervision of Project Biologists. Duties include but are not limited to: in-stream and riparian debris and waste removal, native tree and shrub plantings, building in-stream erosion control and aquatic habitat structures, aquatic monitoring, and help facilitate any environmental events that Ontario Streams may be involved in during the contract period.
Summary of Major Tasks:
- Perform basic construction techniques to install in-stream habitat structures (including erosion control structures). Construction will generally involve the use of a wide variety of hand tools and other specialized field equipment.
- Perform in-stream and riparian debris removal, including the removal of litter, excess large woody material, and any large foreign objects in the stream.
- Assist in aquatic monitoring efforts involving identifying and recording aquatic species (fish, benthic macroinvertebrates).
- Help facilitate tree and shrub planting events as needed.
- Work cooperatively with volunteers and local community groups in a wide variety of events.
- Follow health and safety practices and participate in the maintenance of a safe work environment through the application of Ontario Streams’ Health and Safety policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ontario Streams is seeking self-motivated, dynamic individuals with an interest in stream and wetland rehabilitation and monitoring.
- Must have a minimum of one-year post-secondary education in biology, environmental sciences, or a related field.
- Physical work is required in this position. A successful applicant must be able to lift and carry objects that could weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse environmental conditions.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting.
Terms of Employment:
The successful candidates will be offered a 16-week contract starting May 7, 2018 and ending August 24, 2018 with a possibility of extension. Positions are based on 37.5 hours per week at $14.00 per hour. Successful candidates will be expected to work occasional weekends and evenings. Ontario Streams will provide all safety and field equipment as required, but employees must provide and wear their own pair of CSA approved footwear.
Please forward your cover letter, resume, and references as a single PDF document with subject title “Habitat Technician” by 11:59pm on April 1st, 2018 to:
50 Bloomington Road West
Aurora, Ontario L4G 0L8
Although Ontario Streams appreciates the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
There are currently no volunteer events at this time. Please check back at a later time as we will have more volunteer events available in the summer!